The general Anime 2013 AMV-thread *Thanks people, see you!*

Ask your AMV (Anime Music Video) related questions here.
MelyoraMel

Re: The general Anime 2013 AMV-thread *EMV deadline extended

Post by MelyoraMel » June 5th, 2013, 8:33 am

Hi Kaj!

Take your time to rest well! But don't make us wait forever for the results ^_^ Most of us want to know where we ended.

When you're more rested, please do take the time to read the comments =) Some points we made are connected to what you said in your post and more.

On another note, my amv was temporarily on YT, but it has been blocked due to copyright things. I'll see if I can get it somewhere to show you and give you a link when I have that done ;)

MarikoAMV

Re: The general Anime 2013 AMV-thread

Post by MarikoAMV » June 5th, 2013, 9:04 am

I think I don't really have to add something to what everyone else said, because most of the things i had in mind to say has been said already anyway the AMV competition was fun and i enjoyed watching all of your AMVs. Congrats for winning Samantha :D

here is my AMV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvMRueCmVZE
FateTSC wrote: 2. The scenes were very well placed especially the masking part she did. She improved a lot since the started in 2009 with AMV editing.
Transitions were very smooth and a special message about friendship that you always have to be together to form a bond.
Some of the scenes were random placed because it didn't exactly knew were the focus was on the character?
Thank you for your words Timmie. About the random scenes, they actually were there for a reason. I hope the description in the youtube link will make that clear.

NotReallyHere

Post by NotReallyHere » June 5th, 2013, 9:11 am

Oh, a quick note about the USB-cables: is it possible to get somewhat longer ones for the gap-bridging ones next year? If the person who was in the seat at the other side had showed up I would've had to leave the voting box on the ground or something. XD

pyro

Post by pyro » June 5th, 2013, 9:15 am

NotReallyHere wrote:Oh, a quick note about the USB-cables: is it possible to get somewhat longer ones for the gap-bridging ones next year? If the person who was in the seat at the other side had showed up I would've had to leave the voting box on the ground or something. XD
Those are network cables :) And yeah, some longer cables are quite needed. I saw someone walking in a bit late and almost fell because he didn't see the cable.

Kaj
J-Pop Core Staff

Post by Kaj » June 5th, 2013, 9:39 am

Mel: but ofcourse. Actually, I already read the comments just now and I agree. I just wanted to have my side of the story off my chest and it's good to see that I more or less had the same issues as you guys.

NRH: the cable issue will be addressed next year. We forgot about the large gaps, since this was never an issue at THA.

Some details about the system: it is built around a small Linux-driven computer running a database and a web server. The boxes are connected through a serial RS485-bus with RJ45 connections, as these are cheap and easy to get. The RS485 bus is a differential one, meaning that when the A-line is high, the B-line is low. This makes the signal very stable and there is less chance of interference. It is also suitable for distances of up to 1200(!) meters.
The RS485-buses are generated by two USB to RS485 converters. The limit on the number of connected devices is 32 and since we have more boxes than that, we needed to add a second bus.
Each box has its own microcontroller with a custom bootloader which can receive updates through the bus. The votes are stored in the non-volatile EPROM in the controller, meaning that once the vote is sent, it's stored into the controller until I give the signal to clear the boxes on the bus. In case the connection fails, simply reconnect the bus, the software will poll the boxes (it does so every second) and retrieve the scores already given, storing them into the database.
This way we are sure that no votes go unnoticed. The webpage displays a list and calculates the scores given so far, so I can see on my tablet who is leading the competition at any given moment. We tend to think it's pretty nifty. :)

SpaceMan

Post by SpaceMan » June 5th, 2013, 1:46 pm

xXMikaXx

Re: The general Anime 2013 AMV-thread *EMV deadline extended

Post by xXMikaXx » June 5th, 2013, 3:08 pm

IcrazyIDguy wrote:
Salafor wrote: 3. Editors not being there
There's 2 things about this. First off, they didn't know they should've been there earlier.. They should've checked the forum, or all the editors should've received an email with the info about where to be and such. That is THE counter for this problem.
But the fact that they were allowed to vote (no offense towards them) was not a good call imo... It postponed the results and well, I don't think it will give equal results since they either forgot the AMV/score or were allowed to vote outside of the time base.. which is unfair.
NotReallyHere wrote: About the editor's who joined the voting later: my guess is there was miscommunication/misunderstanding and they didn't realize they had to vote until Kaj said "we're stil missing editors, I actually feel like disqualifing them", causing them to rush forward as soon as they had the chance (when the boxes malfunctioned). Because, well, none of us likes to be dq'ed, this in turn caused the delay to increase.
Hello everyone :) I Just made an account here so I could comment in this topic ^^

@Salafor I totally agree with you. And @NotReallyHere that was exactly the case!
I was one of the editors who didn't know that I should've been there earlier, but please let me tell you why: This was my first time participating in this contest, and I didn't know you had to look on this forum for details (honestly). I did ask a member of the staff, and she told me there were seats reserved for the editors. However, when I asked whether it was okay if could sit with my friends instead of with the editors she said it was okay. Now I'm not blaming the staff, but at least I did ask someone. I agree that it was not the best solution to still make us vote, with only the titles of the amv's, I also found it a bit unfair because I had forgotten a lot about the amv's I had to vote for. I'm very sorry about this... Next year I'm planning on participating again and this won't happen again :) since I now know where I have to look.
I enjoyed watching all of your amv's very much! My personal favorite was the Hyouka video, it was just beautiful <3
I'm also very curious about in which place I ended ><

you can watch my amv here if you want to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHcOHelees8
Hello!! :D
I was the other editor who didn't know that I should have been there earlier at the World Forum Theater. This was als my first time entering a AMV contest and goin' to the Animecon. I'm very sorry that I didn't check the forum, but I didn't had time for that because of my studies. So, I just sat on my chair with my friend and we were very excited about the AMV's, but then I heard that 3 editors were disqualified. And I was like: "OMG! am I one of the 3?!" I was very confused, then later I explained that I really didn't know that I had to be there earlier.
I agree that it was a little unfair to let me vote because I couldn't remember all of AMV's before (only some). Next year I'm to be there on time! and I think it is a good idea to mail the editors about that stuff, because some editors are new at this (like me).

anyway, the AMV's were great and Animecon was so much fun! I'm definitely coming back next year (and on time!)
My amv is having some copyright issues with YT so I'll re-upload it this evening or tomorrow!

NotReallyHere

Post by NotReallyHere » June 5th, 2013, 3:43 pm

We did get e-mails last year, I guess Kaj either forgot this time or thought it was clear enough. XD (Before Melyora asked here I thought he just didn't tell the returning editors XD) (ok, that doesn't make sense, Melyora has been doing this longer than I have)

Anyway, glad you two had fun regardless, hope to see you again next year. At the editor's dinner as well maybe? :) (which will be better than this year's lol)

@CrazyGuy: I left a response on the video. ^^ (which was awesome, the video that is)

Trodecy

Post by Trodecy » June 5th, 2013, 5:21 pm

I also didn't know we had to be there earlier. Luckily after the doors did open before the start we were able to get to Kaj. ^^
(which caused another problem because we needed 2 chairs and there was 1). Awh well, in the future I'll keep up to date and regulary check the Forum if I Enter.
To bad about the audio, it really felt horrible during my own AMV. Did test it on several speakers and it was perfect all the time, so not sure why the audio was F'ed up during the Compo.
Awh well it was fun and hope to see you guys next year ^^

If anyone is interested, our AMV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw4az1LPf-0

Justj1987

Post by Justj1987 » June 5th, 2013, 9:56 pm

i am also making Anime video's but it has bin some time for me to do one. I am working on one but that is still a work in progress. It will be a long video from DBZ about 6 min.
But the one that is finished (i would have changed some things like he part of the spirit bomb) is this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_o0dluJ ... kjpUtNFJWQ
The one i am working on: Note that the action starts later there because well of the length of the video and music.
Sounds are now better worked out and o on to make it more clear about what there saying. here the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRESIEfS ... kjpUtNFJWQ