The general Anime 2013 AMV-thread *Thanks people, see you!*

Ask your AMV (Anime Music Video) related questions here.
Salafor

Re: The general Anime 2013 AMV-thread *EMV deadline extended

Post by Salafor » June 4th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Tada da daaaa!
Hello again to all of you!

First off, the AMV compo was fun ^^ loads of good AMVs, and well, quite some awesomeness..
I really like the impact that Samantha's AMV had when you see it for the first time, it was just funny as hell. And quite wtf, but still, it was funny xD
And overall, the editing doesn't need to be difficult. It was consistent yet random and just fun to watch ^^ The only thing I didn't like were some of the slower parts that didn't seem to fit in there.. the 'unnecessary_bonus_footage' was one of those parts. (constructive criticism). Watching the AMV again however, is not as fun as watching it a first time. But that's usually the case with comedy AMVs.

And I think.. (I don't remember my scores, I just give scores based on how the impression of the AMV was) you had the 2nd best score. I think I gave Qelinz/Spaceman the highest score. But thats because I just loved the colour correct and the beatsyncs in there that were small/barely noticable but very goooood.

An other AMV I enjoyed was the cross-over Fate/SAO AMV by Imp :3 It was neatly done and cool, especially the ending with the editor names and all ^^
Funny thing was that I actually said that out loud after seeing it without fully realizing that it was his xD

Now on to a list of points:

1. The gore
There was a lot of gore.. It was just plain gore.. lots of blood, and dismemberment and well.. where is the line? Imo, a lot of seconds in which a person is looking at their own pair of legs while laying on the ground bleeding out.. kinda crosses the line of being child friendly..

Not that I mind it myself, but won't others complain? And where is the line now?

2. The voting system failing
Shit happens. Thats it ^^ Murphy's Law. Did you manage to find out how it happened though?

3. Editors not being there
There's 2 things about this. First off, they didn't know they should've been there earlier.. They should've checked the forum, or all the editors should've received an email with the info about where to be and such. That is THE counter for this problem.
But the fact that they were allowed to vote (no offense towards them) was not a good call imo... It postponed the results and well, I don't think it will give equal results since they either forgot the AMV/score or were allowed to vote outside of the time base.. which is unfair.

4. Audio
A point that I already stated after the competition, something wasn't right with the audio.. I had FLAC audio (1411 kbps) and it sounded quite horribad imo.. Don't know where the problem originated. But I do hope it can be solved in the future ^^ Murphy's again.

uhm, I think that was all. If I remember something else, I'll let you know ^^

And the link to my AMV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH0Fm_prKak

Charming Ice

Post by Charming Ice » June 4th, 2013, 6:32 pm

FadingSundown wrote:...
I mean, the guy lost his lower body and it still stood there... ...
To be honest... BEST. SCENE. OF THE WHOLE. F*CKING. COMPO. :twisted:
Salafor wrote:...
I really like the impact that Samantha's AMV had when you see it for the first time, it was just funny as hell. And quite wtf, but still, it was funny xD
And overall, the editing doesn't need to be difficult. It was consistent yet random and just fun to watch ^^ The only thing I didn't like were some of the slower parts that didn't seem to fit in there.. the 'unnecessary_bonus_footage' was one of those parts. (constructive criticism). Watching the AMV again however, is not as fun as watching it a first time. But that's usually the case with comedy AMVs.
It's a one shot, and yes... The 'unnecessary_bonus_footage' was just lame.
I didn't feel like cutting the audio again due to deadlinestress. (Could have been better...)

My video for Abunai! 2013 is going to a whole other level, I promise. 8-)

pyro

Post by pyro » June 4th, 2013, 8:55 pm

Charming Ice wrote:
FadingSundown wrote:...
I mean, the guy lost his lower body and it still stood there... ...
To be honest... BEST. SCENE. OF THE WHOLE. F*CKING. COMPO. :twisted:
And worst PR wise.
We had so many new visitors, many of them of young age.
This should not have been shown at that time of day.

MK☆

Post by MK☆ » June 4th, 2013, 8:56 pm

Oh yea, we still had that Deshima Sounds prize we promised. Sadly we couldn't announce the winner at the end of the AMV competition, but that doesn't mean we won't have a winner. We're a little busy with something else at the moment, but at the end of the week the Anime 2013 Deshima Sounds AMV prize winner will be announced. :D

imp

Post by imp » June 4th, 2013, 9:03 pm

MK☆ wrote:Oh yea, we still had that Deshima Sounds prize we promised. Sadly we couldn't announce the winner at the end of the AMV competition, but that doesn't mean we won't have a winner. We're a little busy with something else at the moment, but at the end of the week the Anime 2013 Deshima Sounds AMV prize winner will be announced. :D
really? there was something like that?
And not to be rude, but I'd rather want to see a score-list than some extra prize with the focus on the music genre used...
This is finally complete and up-to-date:
http://amv.impdevelopment.eu

NotReallyHere

Post by NotReallyHere » June 4th, 2013, 9:26 pm

My guess: Samantha wins that one too. XD

I don't think MK has those lists to begin with anyway (you know, since he ins't animecon staff and all), so he can't give it to us anyway. ^^

Off-topic: did my ears deceive me or will the normal deshima sounds parties be moving to Arnhem? (If so that would be pretty neat, since that's quite close to my home :))

MK☆

Post by MK☆ » June 4th, 2013, 9:32 pm

Sadly, no, I cannot give you that list. You really should ask Kaj for that list. And yes, I believe it was mentioned somewhere, although I'm not really sure where we did. :')

Also, it's not just about the music used, but also the general feel of the AMV. Anything that gives off a feeling of a big party is a potentional winner.

And yes, NRH, your ears did hear that right. ;)

Charming Ice

Post by Charming Ice » June 4th, 2013, 9:44 pm

NotReallyHere wrote:My guess: Samantha wins that one too. XD
Whahaha, no way! :lol:

IcrazyIDguy

Post by IcrazyIDguy » June 5th, 2013, 12:06 am

Salafor wrote: 3. Editors not being there
There's 2 things about this. First off, they didn't know they should've been there earlier.. They should've checked the forum, or all the editors should've received an email with the info about where to be and such. That is THE counter for this problem.
But the fact that they were allowed to vote (no offense towards them) was not a good call imo... It postponed the results and well, I don't think it will give equal results since they either forgot the AMV/score or were allowed to vote outside of the time base.. which is unfair.
NotReallyHere wrote: About the editor's who joined the voting later: my guess is there was miscommunication/misunderstanding and they didn't realize they had to vote until Kaj said "we're stil missing editors, I actually feel like disqualifing them", causing them to rush forward as soon as they had the chance (when the boxes malfunctioned). Because, well, none of us likes to be dq'ed, this in turn caused the delay to increase.
Hello everyone :) I Just made an account here so I could comment in this topic ^^

@Salafor I totally agree with you. And @NotReallyHere that was exactly the case!
I was one of the editors who didn't know that I should've been there earlier, but please let me tell you why: This was my first time participating in this contest, and I didn't know you had to look on this forum for details (honestly). I did ask a member of the staff, and she told me there were seats reserved for the editors. However, when I asked whether it was okay if could sit with my friends instead of with the editors she said it was okay. Now I'm not blaming the staff, but at least I did ask someone. I agree that it was not the best solution to still make us vote, with only the titles of the amv's, I also found it a bit unfair because I had forgotten a lot about the amv's I had to vote for. I'm very sorry about this... Next year I'm planning on participating again and this won't happen again :) since I now know where I have to look.
I enjoyed watching all of your amv's very much! My personal favorite was the Hyouka video, it was just beautiful <3
I'm also very curious about in which place I ended ><

you can watch my amv here if you want to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHcOHelees8

Kaj
J-Pop Core Staff

Post by Kaj » June 5th, 2013, 8:25 am

OK... My point of view without reading the comments since the competition just yet; I'm feeling pretty fatiqued due to the fact that we've been hauling stuff back and forth. Jacob, Mirna, Michel, George, Natalie and I were the last ones out of the building on Monday and Tuesday, I'm currently at the office getting back into the swing of things and my colleagues think I look like shit. :)

So yeah, I will read what you have to say, just at a later date. Despite that, I can guess what you had to say, so I'll try and give my point of view on this year's competition.

First: I was very happy to get such a diverse playing field. A nice mix of newcomers and veterans alike made for an interesting competition.

The testing went reasonably well: some of the videos needed a little more TLC than others, but we prevailed in the end. Video is a tricky bitch, with a host of standards and codecs which don't play nicely with eachother. Our player is a picky eater, I admit, but it's a great tool to play video's who do adhere to standards and smoke out those who don't. Software like VLC allowing you to use just any container and codec is a bad thing, because people get lazy and just throw whatever they can into it. Getting it right not only helps us getting video's that will play on just about anything, it'll also help you make better video's and understand the underlying technical side of them, understanding how it works.
That said, I am looking to replace the Popcornhour for next year. More on that later.

Now, there were some rather bloody video's. I even had one of them mended to make it less gory. In hindsight, it might have been better to not play them at all during the event, but I felt I couldn't go back on my word at that point and had it toned down instead.
The line will be drawn differently next year. We are a family show after all.

The technical difficulties. We don't know exactly what went wrong on sound, but it appears my prosumer decoder decided at the last minute on not playing nice with the rest of the sound system.
There is not much I can do about that at that moment but rest assured that I did everything in my power to make sure all video's played as the were meant to.
All video's played OK at my house, and as said, I can re-create the setup in the theatre to a point where the only difference is the size of speakers and screen and I don't have two mixing consoles in my living room. (crazy, I know)
The voting system also had a hiccup; the guy who helped me build the system thinks the USB-connection briefly clocked itself. While annoying, it's not a show stopper, since the safeties we've built into the system prevent it to lose any scores given up to that point.
The base station we designed for it is nearly finished and has the USB lines and hub on the PCB instead of a cable so I gather this won't be an issue next year. Not if we can help it.

There were also three editors who didn't understand they had to be present. My bad; perhaps I wasn't clear on that, but on the other hand we do explain in the rules the how and why:

* You need to attend the competition in person, holding a valid ticket for the festival.
We need you there to vote for the other contestants and it's more fun to see the people react to your AMV when you're there.

Two of them were in the room, but not at the front. By the time they figured it out, we've played 8 video's so far. I felt we had to allow them to vote after all, so they did and filled in the blanks afterwards. Due to this taking longer than expected, we had to postpone the announcement of the winner(s) to the closing ceremony.

All said and done I think we still had a great competition and I sincerely hope you all will join us again next year. I'll be there at least. :)
The scores will be posted somewhere this week.