Cosplay Contest Questions

The Cosplay team is ready to answer all your questions.
Jerros

Cosplay Contest Questions

Postby Jerros » December 16th, 2012, 9:18 pm

Hello, so, yeah,
at the rules it states that the entire outfit must be handmade personally, bare some small store bought props. Does this include clothing like a Japanese school uniform? Does that need to be hand-made? (not a problem, just to be sure)
Also, with the you-have-to-do-an-act thing; doesn't that take away the focus of the costumes? It's supposed to be a who-made-the-best-outfit right, not who-has-the-best-act...
Also, what aspects does the jury judge on? Will there be more details as to what exactly is expected from the competition contestants? Also, what's the deal with all the different competitions? It's hard to tell which to participate in, what differentiates them and... well, the site just post pretty much the same info on everything cosplay related.
Lastly, how out-of-character can you dress the char you're cosplaying? Don;t want to reveal too much as to what I'm doing, but would such thing be OK f well done, or will it nót be appreciated...?
Thanks!

niels
J-Pop Core Staff

Re: Cosplay Contest Questions

Postby niels » December 16th, 2012, 10:25 pm

I've asked the cosplay team to look in to your question. However, different rules apply for each contest. The only thing I can give you an answer for is:
If you want to compete in Euro Cosplay, European Cosplay Gathering or World Cosplay Summit, your costume will need to be hand made. This includes a school uniform.
If you want to solo compete in Euro Cosplay, and act is not a requirement, but it will help. A lot.

The rest of your question can and will be answered by our cosplay team.

Shiner
J-Pop Core Staff

Postby Shiner » December 17th, 2012, 7:00 pm

Hello Jerros,
I am going to break down the message a bit, to make it easier to answer the questions:

Hello, so, yeah,
Hello!

at the rules it states that the entire outfit must be handmade personally, bare some small store bought props. Does this include clothing like a Japanese school uniform? Does that need to be hand-made? (not a problem, just to be sure)
Yes, it needs to be hand made.
Also, with the you-have-to-do-an-act thing; doesn't that take away the focus of the costumes?
Only for the acts. There will be a fashionshow on sunday where you can participate in.
It's supposed to be a who-made-the-best-outfit right, not who-has-the-best-act...
Only for the Fashion show, the acts will be on Saturday where you can participate in (unless you want to go solo, participate in the ECG, than it will be sunday).
Also, what aspects does the jury judge on?
It depends on the competition you want to participate in. For the costumes they will look at major and minor things, varying from " does it look like the original" to "these to small things are the wrong colour grey. Of course, the major things are more important than the minor things and all costumes will have some issues. In 8 years of seeing events all over the world I have yet to see the perfect costume.
Will there be more details as to what exactly is expected from the competition contestants?
I am not sure what you expect more. The details of participation about where you have to be at what time will be made clear as the convention comes near. Be asured, we will try to take as little of your time as possible during the convention, so you can enjoy it at the fullest.
Also, what's the deal with all the different competitions?
I am not sure what you find unclear, but let me sum up:
WCS: World cosplay summit preliminaries, finals held in Japan in beginning of August (usually). 2 participants per act.
ECG: European cosplay gathering: Preliminaries for the finals held in the beginning of July in Paris at Japan expo. Act: 2 or 3 participants, solo is 1 (obviously).
Eurocosplay: Preliminaries for the finals held in London in the end of October. Solo and no act needed.
BorderCos: Competiton where you have to participate with at least 2 different nationalities.
Cosplay Competiton: Groups with acts.
Fashionshow (not on the site yet, we will work on it this week): alone and no act needed.
It's hard to tell which to participate in, what differentiates them and... well, the site just post pretty much the same info on everything cosplay related.

Lastly, how out-of-character can you dress the char you're cosplaying? Don;t want to reveal too much as to what I'm doing, but would such thing be OK f well done, or will it nót be appreciated...?
That depends on the act and which competiton you participate in. The "normal" cosplay competition allows for more out of character entertainment value than the preliminaries for the EC, ECG and WCS. If you are not sure, mail your idea to the cosplaystaff. They can help you in many ways.

I hope this clears it up a little bit.

Thanks![/quote]

Jerros

Postby Jerros » December 17th, 2012, 8:03 pm

Thanks a bunch! Rereading my post I sounded pretty blunt, sorry. The well-written response was more than I could hope for, thank you very much. If I happen to stumble upo nmore questions, I'll make sure to post them here.
Once again, thank you! :D

KillMeNow

Postby KillMeNow » January 15th, 2013, 11:53 am

Hi,

I'm busy with a totally handmade costume.
It's from a game (World of Warcraft) wich is not Japanese.
Can i still enter all competitions?
The rules say preferable japanese so it's no must?

niels
J-Pop Core Staff

Postby niels » January 15th, 2013, 8:34 pm

Not all of them. But, if you are doing a single cosplay, you can compete for Euro Cosplay.
You can also take part in our regular cosplay fashion show if you don't want to win a trip to the UK.
For the ECG (Paris) I can't recall off the top of my head if it's allowed or not.
I'll have to dig in to the current rules.

Angeta

Postby Angeta » January 19th, 2013, 1:25 am

I think that the Wolrd of warcraf cosplay can for ECG. I saw som1 do a demon hunter from Diablo 2 and that is from the same game makers :D

KillMeNow

Postby KillMeNow » January 20th, 2013, 9:41 pm

thnx for the replys! :D

Jerros

Postby Jerros » March 9th, 2013, 8:12 pm

'nother Question; it seems to be impossible to join the Fashion show ánd the Euro cosplay or European cosplay gathering?
So when solo, it is either Euro cosplay and/or European cosplay gathering, ór just he Fashion show?

Also, regarding theme songs; will it score less points if you use the English songs rather than the Japanese, even though the English one will be múch better known by the audience, and thus hopefully provoke more of a response with the whole audience? Or is the original Japanese still preferred regardless?

Return to “Cosplay”