Rules for props?

The Cosplay team is ready to answer all your questions.
Milora

Re: Rules for props?

Post by Milora » June 28th, 2014, 5:11 pm

Luca_Scorpion wrote:Hi,

I am slowly starting to work on my cosplay, but I have a little question.
Other than these 2 rules:
12) Weapons (whether it be real, replica’s or model weapons) are strictly forbidden. Cosplay weapons are allowed only as props during one of the official Cosplay Events. Cosplay weapons need to adhere and be handled according to Dutch Law regarding weaponry.
13) Cosplay props which may compromise safety in any way are not allowed.
I found this in the rules "The Dutch law does not allow you to carry anything resembling a weapon with you. It should be clear at a distance of 20 meters that what you are carrying is fake."

I was wondering if it is allowed to carry a giant axe in corridors, halls and outside The World Forum. Also would this giant axe be thought as a fake at 20m distance? The axe would have about 2 meters height and about 0,6 meter width at the widest part.
I would not make it sharp and would use wood, foam and paint to make it. The edges would be out of foam.

George
Dealer Room Manager

Post by George » June 30th, 2014, 8:36 am

Inside and around the World Forum should not be a huge problem as long as you carry it around responsibly and do not take it with you into the event rooms nor swing it around in crowded areas.

However any further from the Forum and you will have to conceil it in a bag because authorities may want to have a word or two with you if they spot you carrying a huge axe on the streets of the Hague.
So it may be handy to make the prop in a way where you can disassemble it.
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Milora

Post by Milora » July 2nd, 2014, 10:17 am

George wrote:Inside and around the World Forum should not be a huge problem as long as you carry it around responsibly and do not take it with you into the event rooms nor swing it around in crowded areas.

However any further from the Forum and you will have to conceil it in a bag because authorities may want to have a word or two with you if they spot you carrying a huge axe on the streets of the Hague.
So it may be handy to make the prop in a way where you can disassemble it.
Thank you so much! I will be careful with it and won`t bring it to event rooms also will bag it away when not at the Forum grounds.

Milora

Post by Milora » July 3rd, 2014, 8:34 pm

Dear George,

I`m writing here from request of a friend. When she asked by e-mail about a large prop of hers if she could carry it around in the hallways, she got following answer.
"You can bring your prop to animecon but you are only allowed to walk around with it during photoshoots and competitions you participate in. Otherways you will have to put it away in our bagroom. If you walk around with it all the time you will be at risk of having to give your prop to the security only to get it back at the very end of the day."

She said in the e-mail that the prop would be 1,7m tall.

Why is that she wasen`t practically allowed to walk in the halways with her prop unless participating to photoshoot or to competition? You said to me that my prop (around 2m tall aswell) would be allowed to be carried around as long as im careful not to hit others and to not to take it to event rooms.

George
Dealer Room Manager

Post by George » July 4th, 2014, 7:04 pm

Hi Milora,

Would you mind inquiring for me where exactly your friend was asked to bring away their props.
Some areas seen as hallways, like the basement, are actually event rooms.
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Milora

Post by Milora » July 11th, 2014, 10:12 am

George wrote:Hi Milora,

Would you mind inquiring for me where exactly your friend was asked to bring away their props.
Some areas seen as hallways, like the basement, are actually event rooms.
She said that they only answered in the e-mail that she can bring it but the prop will be probably taken away from her. They didin`t say where she would be allowed to take the prop with her while walking around. Only that it isin`t allowed to take to the events.

She will be taking a prop with her next year and I have told her your answer about my prop where it is allowed to carry around and where it is not allowed.

George
Dealer Room Manager

Post by George » July 11th, 2014, 10:20 am

Ok, that clears some things up.

To clarify; There is always a chance that we will ask you to bring a prop away if you carry it around irresponsibly, put it down* or bring it to places where props are not allowed.
(*We do ask of you that you carry the prop with you at all times and not put it down somewhere, especially big ones.)
And we will always ask first and unless you're really rude, your prop is against the Dutch law (Like guns that cannot be distinguished from real ones, real knifes and swords, etc.) or when you are doing some really dangerous things with it we will not take props away from you.

And in 99% of the cases where we are forced to take a prop away we will return it to you when you leave the festival.
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

nad89del

Post by nad89del » January 26th, 2015, 11:28 am

Now it is a new Year and a friend of mine and I want to visit Animecon for the first time. Our question now has again something to do with weapons: we are unsure whether we are allowed to carry our swords made for our Attack on Titan Cosplay. The swords are approximately 1m long and made from harmless and flexible materials, there is no wood or metal included at all. Sure, there are some areas where we are not allowed to carry them at all, so much I have understood, but what about carrying them in generall?

Joe4evr

Post by Joe4evr » October 15th, 2015, 11:23 pm

Apologies for the bump, but seeing there was already a topic, I didn't feel like making a new one for a small clarification.
Matijs wrote:There are places where larger props are not allowed for the simple reason that it is not practical to have say a large sword on you when you go e.g. to the concert or a workshop. This also applies to the game room, dealer room, etc...
So, I'm thinking of making a prop that's a bit of an oversized arm, and it'll be like an extra sleeve I can take on and off independently. I'm already planning on stashing the arm away if I'm going to a workshop and the likes, but if it isn't too intrusive, would it be allowed to wear something like that into the game room?

George
Dealer Room Manager

Post by George » October 16th, 2015, 7:35 am

That is pretty hard to answer right now, do you have an example?
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\