Rules for props?

The Cosplay team is ready to answer all your questions.
Luca_Scorpion

Rules for props?

Post by Luca_Scorpion » March 3rd, 2013, 11:46 pm

Hi,

I am slowly starting to work on my cosplay, but I have a little question.
Other than these 2 rules:
12) Weapons (whether it be real, replica’s or model weapons) are strictly forbidden. Cosplay weapons are allowed only as props during one of the official Cosplay Events. Cosplay weapons need to adhere and be handled according to Dutch Law regarding weaponry.
13) Cosplay props which may compromise safety in any way are not allowed.
there is nothing on the site (that I found) about props.
I have to make a spear that kinda looks like this (simple shaft , detailed head):
I thought the best way I could do it was to use a broomstick for the shaft, and for the head a wooden plank which I'd cut and sand down etc, paint it and make it look like metal.
My question is would that be allowed? And if not, what are other good materials to make a spear like this?
The main reason I chose wood is because it doesn't break easily (and also I can shape it pretty easily), because when you'd use something like styrofoam I'd be afraid of it breaking the entire time.

Thanks in advance for your replies!
~Luca

George
Dealer Room Manager

Re: Rules for props?

Post by George » March 3rd, 2013, 11:58 pm

Hi Luca,

Above falls under the weapons catagory and may not be carried around in the public areas.
It may however be taken to any competition you participate in and the official photoshoots and photobooth.
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Luca_Scorpion

Post by Luca_Scorpion » March 4th, 2013, 6:54 pm

Yeah I was pretty sure that would be the answer.
I guess it would also be kinda annoying to take it everywhere and only have 1 hand free :p so it doesn't matter all that much.
Luckily there is a (free) cloak & bag room :D

Thanks!
~Luca

George
Dealer Room Manager

Post by George » March 5th, 2013, 12:47 am

Luca_Scorpion wrote: Luckily there is a (free) cloak & bag room :D
Absolutely. :)
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Matijs
J-Pop Core Staff

Post by Matijs » March 20th, 2013, 6:57 pm

Not only is there a free bag room, we even have a special super fast cosplay props queue.
God's in his heaven. /\ll h@il 8rit@nni@.

Rose

Post by Rose » March 26th, 2013, 11:15 pm

hey there,
I'm kinda new to this, but i was wondering about something.
You see as far as I understand, you are allowed to take "weapens" made of woods and stuffs to the competitions and photoshoot place right? But you can't wear them in public. If you can't wear them in public how do you get them to the competition or the photoshoot place? Can you actually get them into the building at all?
I'm just confused, it seems rather conflicting to me.
I would be most pleased if you could clarify :)
Thanks in advance
Rose

Shiner
J-Pop Core Staff

Post by Shiner » March 26th, 2013, 11:26 pm

Well, basically we have some photoshoot places, the bag room and the backstage.
If you do not move between them, you are not going with them in the right direction, so you will be asked to bring your prop away.
Now, we will hunt for you or stalk you to walk in a straight line towards any of the designated spots, nor will we start shooting if you are held up to talk for a few seconds.
However, we do ask you not to pose with the weapon if somebody asks you to take a picture, but ask the photographer to walk with you to the photospot.

Basically it will be the common sense rule which, if it doesn't work, can be made harsher. I doubt it will come to that though.

Miharichu-Emi

Post by Miharichu-Emi » April 15th, 2014, 9:10 am

So, just for my understanding. There are completely no props allowed on the convention (either it's made out of foam or wood), only on the photo shoot locations and on stage (which I don't participate)?

I was just wondering though, my boyfriend and I are going as Link and Zelda from Twilight Princess (sunday). I have a really thin sword (made out of MDF), who already breaks when you look at it and he was a shield and sword. It it allowed for him to wear his sword in his scabbard on the back? Without having it pulled out on the convention, only in these allowed spaces?

Sorry for asking these questions over and over, but I really don't want to be surprised :)

Thnx!

Matijs
J-Pop Core Staff

Post by Matijs » April 15th, 2014, 10:02 am

Miharichu-Emi wrote:There are completely no props allowed on the convention (either it's made out of foam or wood), only on the photo shoot locations and on stage (which I don't participate)?
You misunderstand. There are places where larger props are not allowed for the simple reason that it is not practical to have say a large sword on you when you go e.g. to the concert or a workshop. This also applies to the game room, dealer room, etc...

On the other hand there are many places where you are allowed to have your props on you, e.g. the hall, the food court, the (large) cosplay photography area, the corridors, outside...

Basically when you are somewhere because you want your picture taken, then you are allowed to have your prop on you, if you are somewhere to do something else then we ask you to store the prop. We have a props storage separate from the bag room for this.

At the convention we use signs to tell people what is allowed where and this information is also in our festival booklet and on our site:
http://www.animecon.nl/rules/bags-props ... bles-rules

Also when you make a mistake the heavens will not descend on you, we will just ask you to store the prop.

Different rules apply only when props are from metal or are not allowed by Dutch laws because they look like weapons.
God's in his heaven. /\ll h@il 8rit@nni@.

Miharichu-Emi

Post by Miharichu-Emi » April 15th, 2014, 10:09 am

Aahhh, thank you for your clear explanation! :)