osu!

Have you seen or played a groovy game and would you love to see other people try it out at our event?
Please leave a note and our gameroom crew will try if they can make it happen.
happy30

osu!

Post by happy30 » April 14th, 2014, 8:41 pm

I would like to recommend some space to play the popular online rhythm game osu! for PC.
It's highly influenced by anime themed songs and the majority of the playerbase likes anime too, so it would be an appropriate choice.
There will be a meeting held with osu!players too, so it would be convenient for us too, heh!

Baris Dogan

Re: osu!

Post by Baris Dogan » April 15th, 2014, 4:45 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL0E ... fddE#t=133

:O Well personally I'm sold and I know what I'll be wasting my weekend on O_O I love Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan :)

I'll have to look into if we can legally use it since it seems to use licensed materials, but I will definitely look in to it. Thank you for bringing it to our attention!
Official Animecon Gameroom Guy~

Baris Dogan

Post by Baris Dogan » April 17th, 2014, 4:23 pm

After toying around with it for a bit I noticed:

-This game is FUN when you find good songs.
-There are a LOT of songs.
-PC + Mouse is not the way to go...
-Android version is awesome but a lot of crashes and not working songs.

I still have to check what we would have to pay our *grinds teeth* "friends" at Buma/Stemra if we wanted to place an audio game with unlicensed songs, kind of a moral grey area. But our tech guy is looking in to the costs of renting a big touch screen just in case :)
Official Animecon Gameroom Guy~

happy30

Post by happy30 » April 20th, 2014, 2:32 am

the application comes with a few "unlicensed" songs that should be okay to use.
A big touch screen would be so cool! other ways to play it is with a tablet or so but a touch screen is definitely more fun.

Xhomas

Post by Xhomas » April 20th, 2014, 9:29 am

I love this idea :D Sounds really fun!

This game is played a lot by tablet. peppy (te maker of osu!) introduced a (pc)tablet made for osu! not so long ago too (info: http://osu.ppy.sh/p/tablet & https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/169139)
Sadly, as you can see, it's sold out at the moment. But another kind of tablet that's used a lot for this game is the 'Bamboo Wacom CTL-470', which I personally use.

While a touchscreen can arguably be more fun than playing with a tablet, I'm not sure if it's possible to have one at Animecon. If it's not, a tablet could be a nice second pick: but there would have to be atleast 2 keys (like a keyboard or a seperate numpad) for input too..
Also: if there will be a touchscreen, the map picks shouldn't be too high bpm or with a lot of streams (https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Streams), since these maps are really hard to play with a touchscreen. The maps could be more jumpy (https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Jumps) with a touchscreen though (since these are way easier than playing with a tablet or mouse).

Playing with a touchscreen is also probably more user-friendly and interesting for new users, while playing with tablet is probably for (the somewhat) more experienced players.

These are just my 2 cents, I really hope that we will be able to see an osu!stand in the gameroom!

niels
J-Pop Core Staff

Post by niels » April 20th, 2014, 2:39 pm

happy30 wrote:the application comes with a few "unlicensed" songs that should be okay to use.
Ehm, no. Please do not assume something is OK to use. Our event does not condone piracy in any way.
Unless music is public domain, we will need to pay a licensing fee.

Kaj
J-Pop Core Staff

Post by Kaj » April 21st, 2014, 8:58 am

What Niels means is that unlicensed isn't necessarily the same as open domain. :) We will check it out and see whether it falls under the license fee we already pay for the music we play during various events and the music that comes with the films and TV-series we show.

XSlicer
Gameroom crew

Post by XSlicer » May 6th, 2014, 11:23 am

Baris Dogan wrote:After toying around with it for a bit I noticed:

-This game is FUN when you find good songs.
-There are a LOT of songs.
-PC + Mouse is not the way to go...
-Android version is awesome but a lot of crashes and not working songs.

I still have to check what we would have to pay our *grinds teeth* "friends" at Buma/Stemra if we wanted to place an audio game with unlicensed songs, kind of a moral grey area. But our tech guy is looking in to the costs of renting a big touch screen just in case :)
The game is really good to play with a draw-tablet (I use to play with that), so I could take that along too, in case the touch screen is not going to work or too difficult to play with.