Animecon's 2014 Pokemon XY Tournament

Have you seen or played a groovy game and would you love to see other people try it out at our event?
Please leave a note and our gameroom crew will try if they can make it happen.
XSlicer
Gameroom crew

Postby XSlicer » March 5th, 2014, 7:51 pm

Because Pokemon battles require a lot of preparation (EV/IV anyone?) these rules will be up now and subject to discussion.
For this year's Pokemon Competition we will use Pokemon X and Y. Last years there rules were pretty straight forward: OU and clauses as set by Smogon.
As XY is still a pretty new and fresh game where the meta is not yet set in stone, I'll pick rules myself and have some additions to regular clauses as well as explain why.
Because the convention is still several months away, these rules can change. Maybe there will be an OU ruleset from Smogon by then and I will change my rules accordingly.

EDIT:
A Draft XY ruleset has been posted to smogon: http://www.smogon.com/xyhub/tiers

For now the following core rules will have been chosen:
- OU tier: For now this means BW's OU tier (see http://www.smogon.com/bw/tiers/) plus Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde (plus possible Diancie, Hoopla, Volcanion if they're Uber).
- Item and Pokemon clause: Only one Pokemon of an evolutionary line and only one item in a team
- Blue Pentagon only: This rule might be strange for you, but it means only Pokémon with a blue pentagon on their profile page are allowed to be chosen (see http://i.imgur.com/xafHDsf.jpg). I am aware this is/was hackable via wifi, but regardless I'm enforcing this rule to clean up from previous' gen's mess. Blue Pentagon basically means "caught in Gen 6".
- 4 Pokemon pick (out of 6)
- 2v2 battles - Yes you read that right, the competition will be two versus two. Reasons for this is that I feel the regular 1v1 to be pretty.. stale. I hope that 2v2 will speed up the game and open up new strategies and excitements. Final Gambit/Sturdy Shedinja and other indestructible strategies are banned
- One Mega is allowed - Since everyone can have one it'll be another tactical choice (besides not being able to pick eviolite or leftovers
- Set Level 50 - This is up for a lot of discussion; I'm not sure yet to keep it on 50 to speed it up and allow anyone with a pokemon to join or keep only the toughest on level 100 (grinding on XY is a lot easier, but not everyone got level 100's prepared).

If you feel any of these rules to be stupid or do not agree with them, please comment and we can discuss.

Vixion

Re: Animecon's 2014 Pokemon XY Tournament

Postby Vixion » March 7th, 2014, 10:51 am

XSlicer wrote: Blue Pentagon only: This rule might be strange for you, but it means only Pokémon with a blue pentagon on their profile page are allowed to be chosen (see http://i.imgur.com/xafHDsf.jpg). I am aware this is/was hackable via wifi, but regardless I'm enforcing this rule to clean up from previous' gen's mess. Blue Pentagon basically means "caught in Gen 6".

Onduidelijke screenshot is onduidelijk ;)

FoxFire

Postby FoxFire » May 6th, 2014, 10:31 am

I was wondering about one thing, normal 2 vs 2 tournaments are with 4 pokes (see nintendo official tournaments and such) so why have you chosen to do 6 here? 4 will also help to speed up the tournament.

XSlicer
Gameroom crew

Postby XSlicer » May 6th, 2014, 10:55 am

I was wondering about one thing, normal 2 vs 2 tournaments are with 4 pokes (see nintendo official tournaments and such) so why have you chosen to do 6 here? 4 will also help to speed up the tournament.

I was not aware of this, I kind of skipped over VGC-rulesets.

It's not that I want to speed up battles by picking 2v2 and also reducing it to a 4-team, but moreso to prevent stalling and speeding it up enough to not have continuous switching and healing. 2v2 prevents this and this makes it quick enough to keep it at 6.
If you still feel that 4-teams are a better option (not going into VGC since I still feel many of the ubers make it too broken) we could change it to that (I think you know more about the metagame), but I think it's not a big issue to have 6.

FoxFire

Postby FoxFire » May 6th, 2014, 12:31 pm

The biggest reason doubles uses 4 pokemon is to lessen the effect of entry hazards by a lot. In singles (which you found stale) you have to use entry hazards or lose in most cases. This means that new strategies can be used which get destroyed by entry hazard (primarily stealth rock). I believe that if we use 6 pokemon the entry hazards will stay dominant (kind of the thing doubles wants to get rid off). With 4 this will not be the case since you don't have the luxury to set it up because of even less switching with 4 pokes. In the end ofcourse it is your call.

Figepootje

Postby Figepootje » May 13th, 2014, 12:39 pm

I have never participated in a pokemon tournament before, so i'm wondering:

What does the OU tier even mean? Are we only allowed to use pokemon in that specific tier or below that as well? I do understand the Uber thing (because most legendaries and OP Pokemon are in that list), but I'm having a hard time understanding the rest of the tiers.

Also, is it a full 6 pokemon team or simply 4, as mentioned before?

FoxFire

Postby FoxFire » May 18th, 2014, 12:39 pm

OU tier means over used pokemon. These pokemon are the strongest pokemon after the Uber tier. If we are playing with the OU tier that means you can use any pokemon in the OU tier or tiers below that. In other words the only pokemon you can't use are in the Uber tier and the rest is all fair game.

XSlicer
Gameroom crew

Postby XSlicer » May 28th, 2014, 12:12 pm

I've thought about this for a while and I'm setting definetly on:

4 Pokemon team, 2v2.
Reason for this that it appears it's really the norm for 2-Poke-Battles.
Reminder that you can bring 6 Pokemon with you, but you'll have to pick out 4 to play with.

On Tiers:
This is the current (draft) Tier for XY:
http://www.smogon.com/xyhub/tiers

FoxFire

Postby FoxFire » June 5th, 2014, 10:50 am

I could be wrong here but I think you're still supposed to enter 6 pokemon but battle with 4 each battle. I don't know what your take on this is.

XSlicer
Gameroom crew

Postby XSlicer » June 6th, 2014, 3:27 pm

Pretty much yeah. You can have 6 pokemon entering, but you'll only battle with 4.
I'll reflect that a bit more.

Return to “Gameroom requests”