DDR: Solo? Double? Soft Pads?

Have you seen or played a groovy game and would you love to see other people try it out at our event?
Please leave a note and our gameroom crew will try if they can make it happen.
Baris Dogan
J-Pop Core Staff

Re: DDR: Solo? Double? Soft Pads?

Postby Baris Dogan » January 6th, 2013, 1:53 pm

Baris wrote:I'm afraid we don't use a songpack (tough some songs are added that way) but we get our songs from a third party.

Being a convention and all we have to pay for every piece of music we play at the convention, we can't just download songs and put em on there, well we could but we don't wanna get sued and face possible jailtime :P

Jerros wrote:Of course, I know that, but the "bundle" must have a name, right? Like "songs for the machine-you-have". Or were all charts purchased individually? (also, you guys aren't thát strict - the Wii from last year was modded and the Smash Brawl tournament was played on a pirated version using the mod software because the disc didn't work ;) )
So... how is the machine called, if I may be so bold? Sure enough that searching for packs for the 'name-of-machine' (or name of setup or w/e) will return sómething. :) The charts exist! Therefore they are somewhere on the internet. *chuckles*
Sorry for al the questions, hope it's not bothering you!

To be honest, a lot of games in the Gameroom are copy's or running of USB/Hard Drive.

This is simply because some hardware (Like the wii's crappy laser having problem with dual layer discs) works better that way, or it saves in game swapping time, however I assure you we tolerate 0 illegal games in the Gameroom, for each game we have running on a backup/usb/disk we have the legal copy with us in the Gameroom, even all the weird Japanese games, feel free to ask me on the convention and I will show you :)

This is the same reason why the mobile Gameroom has r4 cards with only 2 games on them: Teris / Mario Kart, we have 4 legal copy's of both games, however switching them over and over while running around with the consoles is a hassel.

We not only have a legal copy because we would otherwise be breaking the law, but also because we as the Gameroom team strongly believe artists/developers deserve money for their hard work.

Now getting to the point about DDR:
There are no packs since we have a contract with a third party that exploits their software for events and also pays royalties for every song that they use, part of this deal is that they supply the software and simply remove it again after every event. So not only wouldn't we spread the files if we could, we simply can't :)
Official Animecon Gameroom Guy~

Jerros

Postby Jerros » January 6th, 2013, 5:01 pm

Baris Dogan wrote:
This is simply because some hardware (Like the wii's crappy laser having problem with dual layer discs) works better that way, or it saves in game swapping time, however I assure you we tolerate 0 illegal games in the Gameroom, for each game we have running on a backup/usb/disk we have the legal copy with us in the Gameroom, even all the weird Japanese games, feel free to ask me on the convention and I will show you :)

Yup, I'm aware of that, gheh. But it's still not legal to mod your Wii. Yet a modded Wii and it's illegal software were publicly displayed. :P Not that I care, just sayin'. ;)
Now getting to the point about DDR:
There are no packs since we have a contract with a third party that exploits their software for events and also pays royalties for every song that they use, part of this deal is that they supply the software and simply remove it again after every event. So not only wouldn't we spread the files if we could, we simply can't :)

Like said, I'm aware of how you can't do that. :) That's why I've been asking for the name(s) of the software and/or third-party instead every post. (or if the pack has a name it'd even be better) Surely thàt wouldn't be classified information? ^_^
Thanks again; not trying to be an @$$hole here.

shodan

Postby shodan » January 6th, 2013, 5:16 pm

Hi,

I arranged the DDR software (called SportGames) and songs for the last years. First, the reason for not supporting double is the amount of work it would require. Every song needs an additional set of charts for double for each difficulty, and we are talking about hundreds of songs. I don't know any stepartists that are able and willing to make double charts. I have never made double charts either, nor can I judge them correctly. It would also require a major rewrite of the software, as it only supports 4 arrow charts at the moment. With the limited amount of time I have I rather spent it on adding new songs with single charts, as this will please the majority of the players.

The songs used on the conventions are not offered as complete download packs, as most of them are copyrighted by SportGames and available under commercial license only. Other songs come from individual stepartists who didn't give authority to spread the packs (as downloadables) as used in SportGames. Those songs are usually available in their own ddr packs, and can be found on many places on the internet.

Jerros

Postby Jerros » January 6th, 2013, 9:48 pm

Ah, thanks alot. Never knew double charts were so rare, as there are simfiles for tem éverywhere.
So... thanks for noticing SportGames; that's all I wanted to know. ^_^ Found their site and a pack that seems pretty darn similar to what was hosted last year, yeey!

Return to “Gameroom requests”