DDR: Solo? Double? Soft Pads?

Have you seen or played a groovy game and would you love to see other people try it out at our event?
Please leave a note and our gameroom crew will try if they can make it happen.
Jerros

DDR: Solo? Double? Soft Pads?

Post by Jerros » January 2nd, 2013, 7:50 pm

So... I wondered if Solo (6 arrows) or Double (8 arrows) could be available, and if there'll be softpads too. I kinda lost a toenail on the metalpads last year (was bleeding like mad, and now 1 year later it's still a black nail >w<).
Also, Solo and Double play are super fun - especially double is fun to watch too I think. :P

Baris Dogan

Re: DDR: Solo? Double? Soft Pads?

Post by Baris Dogan » January 3rd, 2013, 1:44 am

I'm afraid solo or double play (kudo's if you are 1 of the 10 in the NL that can pull double off) are not an option at the moment, our current setup allowes 6(and up to 128) players to play DDR at the same time, so that we can allow all visitors to play DDR, useing 2 player setups would either require multiple setups (with small screens, and cheap built in speakers) or a huge waiting time for the players :(

I would _LOVE_ to place a real DDR machine like we had years ago (ok it was pump it up, but close enough), but since these are HUGE (not to mention the price tag) I'm afraid this is not an option :(

As for why the metalpads: Softpads (even the more durable and pricey ones) die after 1 day of convention abuse, please keep in mind that most home users play 20-30min sessions once a week max, at the convetion these mats get pounded on for 40+ houres by people in all kinds of shoes. I am however sorry to hear you got injured last year? (Please don't sue us T_T) What kind of footwear where you wearing on the mat?
Official Animecon Gameroom Guy~

Jerros

Post by Jerros » January 3rd, 2013, 7:06 pm

Gheh, I completely understand.
And are there so few people that like to play doubles? I've been playing single for about ten months and decided to buy a second pad like a month ago, and I must say - doubles' fun as hell. xD Just swiftly and agile moving all over the place feels super funny. ;P But it's not thát much harder than single (playing lvl 9-10 double after 2 weeks), so why is it hardly ever done, according to you? Solo's much more difficult imho; unreadable, especially with jumps of more than two arrows. >< Can barely manage lvl ~7. >x<
And no plans of sewing yah. ;3 This ain't Amurikah. :P I was wearing regular shoes at first, but that didn't really feel well (used to socks on hardfoam softpads) so took 'em off and that went bad. I think metalpads are more difficult as the arrows are ínside the pad, rather than sticking out like on hardfoam ones (that, and on softpad you can stand horizontally to be on all four arrows at once xP). But, yeah, because you step ínside the medal frame I stood on the edges a lot, which hurt.
And yeah, guess durability's an issue. Thought Futuremax's Deluxe SoftPads seem to hold out pretty well; play for about 10 hours a week and after 10 months it's still holding. That being said, I had to return the first pad after a week because of tears, and the second pad also broke down after a month (well, the down arrow doesn't respond any more when pressed with more than two other arrows). Gotta have some luck with durability. ;) Surprised your Metalpads hold out so well, as last year I saw some folks pounding them with heavy boots on. ><

Baris Dogan

Post by Baris Dogan » January 3rd, 2013, 9:44 pm

The problem is that very few "home users" have 2 pads to play double on, and those that play DDR in a arcade hardly ever play double, so for 99% of the visitors it just isn't interesting :)

As for durability, it's part luck and part being your own stuff, if you are not the one that bought it you aren't as careful with it.

And the only reason the metal pads still live is because we have to manually clean and revive em after every event :P

Kaj
J-Pop Core Staff

Post by Kaj » January 4th, 2013, 9:21 am

On the durability bit: if you push the Home-button of your shiny iPhone a couple of times per hour, the button's parts have time to recover a bit from the bending and forces that occur when you push it. If you push it several times per second for a longer period of time, it will break due to fatique.
If you bend a piece of wire a couple of times over a year, the wire will hold. If you bend that piece of wire a couple of times in a matter of seconds, the wire will break.

Translate that to your mats: if you use it only for a few hours each week, the pads have time to recover a bit; the foam will stay springy and the contact pads will keep on working. If you use them for 48 hours on end, they will break more sooner than later. :)

Jerros

Post by Jerros » January 4th, 2013, 5:34 pm

Kaj wrote:If you bend that piece of wire a couple of times in a matter of seconds, the wire will break.
Obviously. ^_^ Still, gotta be lucky too. My first pad tore within a month, second one is still alive today (10 months later) third one got a defective down button after ~2 months. All three were the same pads from the same manufacturer (Deluxe Hardfoam Pads by FutureMax) and abused equally (~10 hours a week). But yeah, I saw how people abused the con's MetalPads last year - was a horrible sight. Q_Q

In other news; what song pack is the one used on the con? I liked it a lot, so it'd be nice to know what pack it is/where it's from/how'zitcalled (for StepMania purposes- I'm sure its'downloadable somewhere). Thanks!

Baris Dogan

Post by Baris Dogan » January 5th, 2013, 1:37 am

I'm afraid we don't use a songpack (tough some songs are added that way) but we get our songs from a third party.

Being a convention and all we have to pay for every piece of music we play at the convention, we can't just download songs and put em on there, well we could but we don't wanna get sued and face possible jailtime :P

Jerros

Post by Jerros » January 5th, 2013, 5:03 pm

Baris Dogan wrote:I'm afraid we don't use a songpack (tough some songs are added that way) but we get our songs from a third party.

Being a convention and all we have to pay for every piece of music we play at the convention, we can't just download songs and put em on there, well we could but we don't wanna get sued and face possible jailtime :P
Of course, I know that, but the "bundle" must have a name, right? Like "songs for the machine-you-have". Or were all charts purchased individually? (also, you guys aren't thát strict - the Wii from last year was modded and the Smash Brawl tournament was played on a pirated version using the mod software because the disc didn't work ;) )
So... how is the machine called, if I may be so bold? Sure enough that searching for packs for the 'name-of-machine' (or name of setup or w/e) will return sómething. :) The charts exist! Therefore they are somewhere on the internet. *chuckles*
Sorry for al the questions, hope it's not bothering you!

George
Dealer Room Manager

Post by George » January 6th, 2013, 12:07 am

Hi Jerros,

To give a simple answer: Yes, they probably are somewhere on the Internet, no we will not post them.
Nor is it allowed to be posted.
Please do not offer, encourage or link to illegal activities, such as (but not limited to) bootlegging and pirating.
http://www.animecon.nl/rules/forum-rules
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Jerros

Post by Jerros » January 6th, 2013, 3:18 am

George wrote: To give a simple answer: Yes, they probably are somewhere on the Internet, no we will not post them.
Nor is it allowed to be posted.
Obviously. That's why I just asked for the name of the machine/setup. :P Thàt's not illegal or classifies information, is it? I wouldn't dare to ask for someone to post it here; I've read the rules (and common sense).