Question About Attendees

If your post doesn't fit in any of the other topics, post it here.
Ferragamo

Re: Question About Attendees

Post by Ferragamo » January 5th, 2016, 10:26 pm

Milora wrote:Hello,

I'm not originally from The Netherlands either. I'm from Finland and moved to here about 2 years ago and started to cosplay last year. ^^ I do know some dutch now but it bothers me that most ppl always think in there that you are dutch and so they come at you and start to talk dutch... I'm sure though that most of the dutch people will talk english afterwards when you say that you can't talk dutch.

If you want to have some company to spend time and talk to, I would be glad to hang out with you!
Hi Milora,

Sorry for the late reply! I just came back to check the Forum today, since it seemed a bit quiet here for awhile, as the convention is still half a year away! ^^; But time flies!

It's great to hear about others outside of NL also visiting this convention! Yes, from what I've heard, Dutch people are are capable/willing to speak in English if they find out you don't speak Dutch. My local convention is across a river from Canada, so we do get Canadians, but to me it's not so unusual, since it's just a a matter of driving in a tunnel to get here. (I suppose it's like England to France.) I forget that European countries are connected like our states. (I promise I'm not ignorant, just that sometimes I forget to think about things in that perspective!)

At the moment I'm still looking at flight tickets to AMS... They don't seem to want to drop... D: If I can make it happen, I'm planning a week long visit in NL before hitting Den Haag for AnimeCon.

At the moment I'm saving up to attend a convention in Texas with a friend in February, called Anime Matsuri. ^^; (The highlight for me, is I hope I get to see Reika. I understand she attended AnimeCon in 2015! Hoping she will visit NL in June too!)

Yes, sure, let's keep in touch! :D

Ferra

An angel whom has committed a great sin or offense and was sent down to Earth to live out its punishment confined in an Earthly body. Even if the body expires, there will be no escaping back to the heavens.

Ferragamo

Post by Ferragamo » January 5th, 2016, 10:43 pm

TorukoJin wrote: Hey Ferragamo ^_^

Nice to see someone from the USA interested in a Dutch Animé Con like AnimeCon NL

I've been coming to Animé cons in NL since 2010. I'm from the UK (London) but ethnically i am Turkish ^^

I've been coming to this con since 2014 and i enjoy it very much! I drive to NL from the UK and i already got used and can handle from driving on the left to on the right like most of the world does XD LOL

As for getting to the Netherlands, i think it's easier to fly direct to Amsterdam or connect via the UK (which is a pain in the butt) But yes.....direct to Amsterdam would help!

Then get the train from Amsterdam to Den Haag and your there! You would need to get local buses from Den Haag centraal station to get to the World Forum (Obama visited the World Forum, where this con is a few years ago XD) Maybe ask someone here who is willing to pick you up from Amsterdam Airport to drive you to Den Haag if any attendee is passing Amsterdam on the way to Den Haag to give you a ride in their car. I think a night flight, arriving on the Friday 10th June early morning would be best to arrange all this ^^

I hope you can come to AC 2016 and i do too recommend booking a hotel nearby the con...say like e.g. Crowne Plaza. You just book it and they will ask you in January if you can pay it ^^ via ITO tours which is on the hotel link on the website

Alternatively, this year i stayed in a hotel for this year's con that was 4 miles away and i walked 4 miles from the hotel to the con lol XD I recommend using hotel comparison websites like Hotels.com or expedia.com if you are not able to get a hotel that is connected to the con via ITO tours.

I dunno wat anime you like but I'm BIG on the Pokémon Animé and I've been watching the series non stop since the first season 15+ years ago XD LOL

I normally cosplay as this guy and have done so for the last 5 years:

Old school Giovanni from the Animé! My friend who is the Umbreon is also a furry and a Pokéfan ^^ He's Dutch!

So if you do come, please say hi to me! ^_^ I'll be getting a new Giovanni (Orange) suit made for 2016 which will be even better than the one i have now!

Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me ^^ i'd be happy to help ya!

TorukoJin ^^
Hi TorukoJin!

I keep telling myself I need to get out and see more of the world, it's been a long time since I've been to Europe and that was only France and Italy. The Netherlands has always been on my list, but I just haven't gotten the courage to go. Just so happened to find AnimeCon and it's helping to motivate me to really plan for a trip.

The only places I've been where driving is on the left side is... Hong Kong and Japan... and... Barbados!

Thanks for all the information! I'm mostly worried about getting lost trying to figure out how to get to train stations and bus stations and stuff... but I have heard most Dutch people in Amsterdam are used to tourists and willing to give directions and speak English. I also understand Amsterdam is fairly safe, comparing with other large cities (not to say, not to be cautious, but "safer" than say, NYC or some place).

I might reach out to you when I'm certain I can make it out to NL. The logistics of getting around the cities on public transportation still has me feeling shaky. Where I live, I have to drive everywhere, no public transportation. I'm not a country bumpkin, just live in the suburbs!

My brother really loved Pokemon, though I have never got into it. Back in the day I was big on Bleach, though I kind of stopped when the anime came to a halt. I would say my favorites right now are Sword Art Online and Attack on Titan - I'm kind of a late bloomer on these series - I didn't pay attention to either of them when they were the hype (well, they still kind of are, but I mean when they were really, really popular - I just didn't understand what the deal was until now!). I also like K-project (second season Return of Kings ended recently) and Noragami (second season Aragoto also ended recently). If I do end up cosplaying, you'll find me as Hange Zoe from Attack on Titan. :)

Ferra
An angel whom has committed a great sin or offense and was sent down to Earth to live out its punishment confined in an Earthly body. Even if the body expires, there will be no escaping back to the heavens.

Matijs
J-Pop Core Staff

Post by Matijs » January 14th, 2016, 12:54 pm

Ferragamo wrote:The only places I've been where driving is on the left side is... Hong Kong and Japan... and... Barbados!
TorukoJin is from the UK where the drive on the left. In the Netherlands we drive on the right, like in the USA.
Ferragamo wrote:Thanks for all the information! I'm mostly worried about getting lost trying to figure out how to get to train stations and bus stations and stuff... but I have heard most Dutch people in Amsterdam are used to tourists and willing to give directions and speak English. I also understand Amsterdam is fairly safe, comparing with other large cities (not to say, not to be cautious, but "safer" than say, NYC or some place).
Most Dutch public transport directories have an English page:
http://9292.nl/en#
http://www.ns.nl/en

While not as safe as Japan our public transport and public spaces are in general safer than the USA. Also while we are not as punctual as Japan, trains between Amsterdam, Amsterdam Airport and The Hague go very often. You should not have to wait longer than 15 minutes, except when travelling late in the evening.

You can also rent a car of course. Our convention is easy to reach and has a large car park under the building. If you go visit Amsterdam though, public transport and/or walking are advised as you are in "Old Europe" there: it is an old city not build for cars, suicidal bicyclers are everywhere and parking is very expensive. As is gas.

Computer maps of the Netherlands are very detailed. If you have a smartphone you should not have be able to get lost.

That said you will always find people willing to help you out and indeed most people speak English.

But anyhow: welcome to the festival! :)
God's in his heaven. /\ll h@il 8rit@nni@.

TsUNaMy WaVe

Post by TsUNaMy WaVe » February 11th, 2016, 10:17 pm

Hey,

I just found out about this con, and it looks like it is going to be super awesome. But I'm not from The Netherlands, I'm from Israel. I don't know for sure yet, but I do heavily consider to attend the con. If I'll do I'm sure I'll be able to figure out my way with where to stay and how to get there. Maybe I'll even bring my cosplay.

I have another problem/consideration though... I know I don't have anyone that I know that can come with me. And I'm not sure if I'll really have fun being there alone. Do you think there will be other like me at the con, that will come alone? So we can somehow bump with each other and have fun at the con together? ^^"

Yeah I know that question is pretty weird. Thanks anyway!

George
Dealer Room Manager

Post by George » February 12th, 2016, 8:42 am

Hi there,

First off, your question isn't weird at all. You're coming from a place which is pretty far away so it's not too strange that you do not have anyone coming with you.
That said, we are working very hard to fill the festival with all kinds of events for all kinds of people so that even if you come here alone, at least our program should keep you very busy.
Apart from that, I'm also pretty confident that you should not have a very hard time making friends here. :)
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Ferragamo

Post by Ferragamo » February 12th, 2016, 8:33 pm

Matijs wrote:While not as safe as Japan our public transport and public spaces are in general safer than the USA. Also while we are not as punctual as Japan, trains between Amsterdam, Amsterdam Airport and The Hague go very often. You should not have to wait longer than 15 minutes, except when travelling late in the evening.

But anyhow: welcome to the festival! :)
Hi Matijs,

Yes, I hear Amsterdam is pretty safe, though I hadn't heard about the cities/towns in between Amsterdam and Den Haag.

I'm not sure I can make it to the convention at this point, the flight tickets from Detroit to AMS keeps getting higher and higher now, with four months to go. I'll have to see about transferring my ticket or requesting a refund. It's too bad, I think it would have been really fun.
TsUNaMy WaVe wrote:I have another problem/consideration though... I know I don't have anyone that I know that can come with me. And I'm not sure if I'll really have fun being there alone. Do you think there will be other like me at the con, that will come alone? So we can somehow bump with each other and have fun at the con together? ^^"

Yeah I know that question is pretty weird. Thanks anyway!
Hi TsUNaMy WaVe,

As George responded, there will be plenty to do and you're sure to meet nice friendly people at any of the events and have lots of fun. Cheers!