Question About Attendees

If your post doesn't fit in any of the other topics, post it here.
Ferragamo

Question About Attendees

Post by Ferragamo » October 2nd, 2015, 5:49 pm

Hi, I see from the history of this convention that the attendees is growing each year (yay!).
http://www.animecon.nl/program/history

I was wondering if you have any data on where the attendees are from? Meaning, people who attend that are not originally from The Netherlands.

I'm just curious, as I'm from the USA and I am really planning to attend AnimeCon in 2016 while visiting the fine city of Den Haag.

That said, the flight will be expensive for me. I am still on the look out for cheaper flight tickets, so I'm not sure my exact arrival/departure dates, which will also affect my hotel booking. Anyone have any advice when would be roughly the latest to book a hotel? No later than two months in advance?

I know conventions will get big, but I can't speak much from my own experience of going to my local anime convention (Detroit's very own youmacon.com coming up this month), as I live close enough to drive there, not having to deal with booking hotels.

Dank je wel for any advice!

Kaj
J-Pop Core Staff

Re: Question About Attendees

Post by Kaj » October 4th, 2015, 12:55 pm

Hi Ferragamo,

We advise you to look for a hotel room and book it as soon as possible. When booking directly, most hotels around here won't require payment or booking fees until a couple of weeks before the actual stay, so if you want to switch accomodations or can't make it after all, you can cancel your reservation free of charge.
The hotel's web site usually states the terms and conditions.

Ferragamo

Post by Ferragamo » October 5th, 2015, 2:28 am

Thanks very much for your quick response Kaj! I took your advice and reserved a hotel. I also purchased the full weekend ticket. :o Now I have something to look forward to for next year. :D Still curious though, how often guests from abroad (not close by to NL) attend. ;)
An angel whom has committed a great sin or offense and was sent down to Earth to live out its punishment confined in an Earthly body. Even if the body expires, there will be no escaping back to the heavens.

Kaj
J-Pop Core Staff

Post by Kaj » October 5th, 2015, 6:55 am

That depends on your perspective of "not close" :D
Joking aside: we get visitors from all over Europe (including Russia), Asia, North America and even the odd Australian. The gist of it comes from Europe, though.
Looking forward to seeing you at our event; I'll be the guy presenting the AMV-competition, among other things.

Prizz1989

Post by Prizz1989 » October 5th, 2015, 1:47 pm

Hi Ferragamo,
Im one of the people that does the marketing and statistics so i have a more exact answer.
15% of our visitors are "foreigners" mostly from germany belgium and close by countries. But we get people from all over the world.
It would be nice to hear what the diferences are with the american cons. We can grab some drinks if im not too busy :)
You can find me hosting the speeddating or cooking lecture.
Pyon....pyon.....pyon....pyon.....
^_^

Ferragamo

Post by Ferragamo » October 5th, 2015, 3:35 pm

Hi Kaj - Ah, yes, you're right. I had to put into perspective the size of The Netherlands. According to Google Maps, it's about a 3 hour drive from Maastricht to Groningen. While driving from Detroit to Chicago takes 4 hours. I guess I have to think of the other close countries like I would consider the other states nearby to my state! I was posing this question as an "outsider" from abroad (really abroad!), since I think most of our attendees at Youmacon are from the USA or Canada, and doesn't really "count". I'll be a bit special at AnimeCon, I guess. ^_^;

Hi Prizz1989 - I think AnimeCon has about 5+ years on Youmacon (which started in 2005), so we could probably consider you AnimeCon-senpai or AnimeCon-niichan. ^_^ I've been going to Youmacon (45 minute drive from where I live) since 2010; this year will be the sixth. Though I am only able to make it to Saturday (largest population; it looks like the same for yours).

One thing I'm not certain I see, are your guests. Youmacon's guests consist of American voice actors and some local/regional music artists (I think, I actually don't know who they are...!). I think for your cosplay contests though, you have international guests, which is really cool. ^_^v Partly due to I don't have much time to spend at the Con, I haven't had much chance to participate in panels and what not; I focus on cosplay photo ops and shopping in the Dealer's Room (shamefully I'm more of a convention tourist than a full participant). This year I'm taking time off to actually go for TWO days and really participate in some panels and watch some videos - I'm sure it's a different feeling laughing and crying with a whole theatre of people than by yourself at home on a laptop. ^_^

Looking at your program for 2015, it looks like you have more cosplay competitions, which I would love to see. I tend to get on a soapbox about Youmacon cosplay, because even though it's advertised as Anime/Japanese culture, we tend to see American media too (e.g., Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Star Wars, etc.). I don't mind American animation, because at least it's animated (but we had too much Disney's Frozen last year, haha), but American live action should stick to the local Motor City Comic Con (which is for American media). I watched the YouTube videos for AnimeCon that G&J Productions put together and your cosplayers are amazing!!! I feel like it puts Detroit to shame, we need to up our game... or maybe I just haven't been lucky enough to catch the really awesome ones.

Youmacon takes place at the Detroit Renaissance Center (called RenCen for short) and Cobo Hall (two venues, so to speak). The Marriott Hotel is located right in the RenCen. The RenCen has multi layer floors, almost like a labyrinth (I still get lost every year), so sometimes it's not easy to catch people, because by the time you chase after them, they have disappeared to another floor! On the "back" side of the RenCen is the Detroit River, on the other side is actually Windsor, Ontario, Canada. Anyway, enough rambling about the location, I'm sure The World Forum in Den Haag is equally awesome!

Youmacon is coming up in less than four weeks (October 29-November 1), I'll share my new findings and maybe some pictures (if that's permitted here). They haven't posted this year's program schedule, but in case you're curious how it compares to AnimeCon, 2014's program is still up. http://schedule.youmacon.com/print

Some information I found on Wikipedia
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/AnimeCon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youmacon

Tot ziens for now!
An angel whom has committed a great sin or offense and was sent down to Earth to live out its punishment confined in an Earthly body. Even if the body expires, there will be no escaping back to the heavens.

Kaj
J-Pop Core Staff

Post by Kaj » October 6th, 2015, 7:16 am

You'll find that our cosplaying attendees are a mixed bunch, ranging from very intricate characters from anime and manga, to Plank from Ed, Edd 'n Eddy. We do not have rules in that regard, although our competitions do for participating, but it's pretty much a free-for-all on the convention floor.
As for voice actors: the Dutch tend to watch their anime in Japanese audio with English or Dutch subtitles. As a result, we don't care much for American VA's and rather spend our budget on other Events-things. Dutch VA's are pretty rare and having Japanese VA's mostly depends on sponsoring.

I read about RenCen: it's a labyrinth indeed. We have a similar labyrinthian location in the south, which we once roamed as a convention, many moons ago. The World Forum otoh is pretty straightforward (only the backstage area can we pretty confusing) and their room naming has a brilliant logic behind it. I'm sure you'll love Anime 2016 and we love to have you aboard. :)

Ferragamo

Post by Ferragamo » October 6th, 2015, 4:12 pm

I guess because Youmacon generally occurs around Halloween and it's been about half a year since the Motor City Comic Con (held mid-May), people decided they needed an excuse to cosplay in whatever media they feel like. ;p

Oh, no, no, I wasn't saying I expect to see any American VAs at your convention. In fact, I'm rather a "purist" and can't stand watching English dubs! To me it's like "nails on chalkboard" (unpleasant sound). I've only had three exposures to watching English dubs - an episode of Rurouni Kenshin (watched because no other options), the entire Princess Mononoke movie (in class), and entire season of Fruits Basket (at the time it was my favorite series and I made an effort... but cringed a lot). Someday I hope we can get Japanese seiyuu to attend. *_*

I vaguely remember that there are rooms named after continents. :o Yup, looking forward to visiting the World Forum next year! I love how there is a count down timer. It seems so far off. Haha... I'm trying to convince a friend (who lives in NL nearby) to attend too. :3

Milora

Post by Milora » December 22nd, 2015, 10:46 am

Hello,

I'm not originally from The Netherlands either. I'm from Finland and moved to here about 2 years ago and started to cosplay last year. ^^ I do know some dutch now but it bothers me that most ppl always think in there that you are dutch and so they come at you and start to talk dutch... I'm sure though that most of the dutch people will talk english afterwards when you say that you can't talk dutch.

If you want to have some company to spend time and talk to, I would be glad to hang out with you!

TorukoJin

Post by TorukoJin » December 27th, 2015, 11:43 am

Ferragamo wrote:Hi, I see from the history of this convention that the attendees is growing each year (yay!).
http://www.animecon.nl/program/history

I was wondering if you have any data on where the attendees are from? Meaning, people who attend that are not originally from The Netherlands.

I'm just curious, as I'm from the USA and I am really planning to attend AnimeCon in 2016 while visiting the fine city of Den Haag.

That said, the flight will be expensive for me. I am still on the look out for cheaper flight tickets, so I'm not sure my exact arrival/departure dates, which will also affect my hotel booking. Anyone have any advice when would be roughly the latest to book a hotel? No later than two months in advance?

I know conventions will get big, but I can't speak much from my own experience of going to my local anime convention (Detroit's very own youmacon.com coming up this month), as I live close enough to drive there, not having to deal with booking hotels.

Dank je wel for any advice!
Hey Ferragamo ^_^

Nice to see someone from the USA interested in a Dutch Animé Con like AnimeCon NL

I've been coming to Animé cons in NL since 2010. I'm from the UK (London) but ethnically i am Turkish ^^

I've been coming to this con since 2014 and i enjoy it very much! I drive to NL from the UK and i already got used and can handle from driving on the left to on the right like most of the world does XD LOL

As for getting to the Netherlands, i think it's easier to fly direct to Amsterdam or connect via the UK (which is a pain in the butt) But yes.....direct to Amsterdam would help!

Then get the train from Amsterdam to Den Haag and your there! You would need to get local buses from Den Haag centraal station to get to the World Forum (Obama visited the World Forum, where this con is a few years ago XD) Maybe ask someone here who is willing to pick you up from Amsterdam Airport to drive you to Den Haag if any attendee is passing Amsterdam on the way to Den Haag to give you a ride in their car. I think a night flight, arriving on the Friday 10th June early morning would be best to arrange all this ^^

I hope you can come to AC 2016 and i do too recommend booking a hotel nearby the con...say like e.g. Crowne Plaza. You just book it and they will ask you in January if you can pay it ^^ via ITO tours which is on the hotel link on the website

Alternatively, this year i stayed in a hotel for this year's con that was 4 miles away and i walked 4 miles from the hotel to the con lol XD I recommend using hotel comparison websites like Hotels.com or expedia.com if you are not able to get a hotel that is connected to the con via ITO tours.

I dunno wat anime you like but I'm BIG on the Pokémon Animé and I've been watching the series non stop since the first season 15+ years ago XD LOL

I normally cosplay as this guy and have done so for the last 5 years:

Old school Giovanni from the Animé! My friend who is the Umbreon is also a furry and a Pokéfan ^^ He's Dutch!

So if you do come, please say hi to me! ^_^ I'll be getting a new Giovanni (Orange) suit made for 2016 which will be even better than the one i have now!

Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me ^^ i'd be happy to help ya!

TorukoJin ^^