Questions about Gophering

If your post doesn't fit in any of the other topics, post it here.
Wawel-Dragon

Questions about Gophering

Post by Wawel-Dragon » September 11th, 2015, 12:06 am

Hi, for the past 3-4 years or so I've been thinking about becoming a gopher at an anime convention. For 2016, I've decided to become a gopher for Animecon (this will be the first time), but I have some questions about it. For the sake of clarity, I intend to buy a whole weekend ticket.

1. If I become a gopher, at what time should I arrive at the convention on friday?

2. How many hours/shifts would I be expected to work at minimum (in order to receive a free ticket for next year) and how long do individual shifts last?

3. What clothing should I wear (or not wear) as a gopher?

4. For AV Crew, affinity with AV equipment is required; but how do I know if I meet said requirement? What AV equipment do you use, and could you give an example of a common problem that I would have to be able to solve?

5. (If I don't join AV Crew) Can I opt out of night shifts altogether? I need to know because at the sleeping accomodations I am considering, I can't return in the dead of the night.

6. When too much gophers want to visit the same event (like the AMV compo or the Cosplay compo), how do you decide which lucky ones can go and which unlucky ones have to work a shift? Do you use a lottery system or something else?

7. Is it okay/doable to become a steward the first year, or would it be better to gain experience as a gopher first?

8. Anything else I should probably know as a first-time gopher? Don't hesitate to point out the obvious. ;)

George
Dealer Room Manager

Re: Questions about Gophering

Post by George » September 11th, 2015, 7:54 am

Hi there,

Thank you for your interest in volunteering at our event.
I will try to answer your questions.
Wawel-Dragon wrote:Hi, for the past 3-4 years or so I've been thinking about becoming a gopher at an anime convention. For 2016, I've decided to become a gopher for Animecon (this will be the first time), but I have some questions about it. For the sake of clarity, I intend to buy a whole weekend ticket.

1. If I become a gopher, at what time should I arrive at the convention on friday?
At the time you can make it, we start building up for the convention on thursday but if you have school or have to work until late friday evening we will keep that in mind.
If you can make it early, it would be nice though.
2. How many hours/shifts would I be expected to work at minimum (in order to receive a free ticket for next year) and how long do individual shifts last?
We've set the minimum requirement for a free ticket at one full work day (8 hours) in shifts as a minimum divided over several shifts.
One shift takes between 2 and 4 hours so during the weekend you will be running 3 shifts on average with at least a couple of hours break in between to do your own thing.
If you want to run more than that, we would be eternally grateful but we are not able to reward you extra for it.
3. What clothing should I wear (or not wear) as a gopher?
As long as you are not naked and wear your badge visibly anything goes, we also allow cosplay.
For axtra recognizability however you can choose to wear the special crew shirt we give out.
4. For AV Crew, affinity with AV equipment is required; but how do I know if I meet said requirement? What AV equipment do you use, and could you give an example of a common problem that I would have to be able to solve?
Generally you have to know how XBMC/Kodi works and how to press a play button.
Our tech gurus are however working on a fully automatic system, so all you have to do during a video shift is watch anime and occasionally look around to see if people behave and aren't sleeping. ;)
5. (If I don't join AV Crew) Can I opt out of night shifts altogether? I need to know because at the sleeping accomodations I am considering, I can't return in the dead of the night.
If you don't want to work night shifts, you don't have to.
A quesionnaire will be offered to you in which you can place all your preferences.
6. When too much gophers want to visit the same event (like the AMV compo or the Cosplay compo), how do you decide which lucky ones can go and which unlucky ones have to work a shift? Do you use a lottery system or something else?
When this situation takes place, we ask among the gophers who is willing to take a shift.
And most of you are fantastic enough so we never really had to raffle.
7. Is it okay/doable to become a steward the first year, or would it be better to gain experience as a gopher first?
It is certainly possible to be a steward, you will however have to work more shifts than a gopher and you are required to follow a 1 day stewarding course before becoming eligible.
8. Anything else I should probably know as a first-time gopher? Don't hesitate to point out the obvious. ;)
Take good care of yourself, eat and drink enough.
We try to give at least one wardrobe shift to everyone, the wardrobe shifts are however among the most popular shifts to have, I am not joking.
Lastly: Have fun!
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Kaj
J-Pop Core Staff

Re: Questions about Gophering

Post by Kaj » September 11th, 2015, 9:11 am

In addition to the answer given at 4: if you are familiar with handling sound boards, lighting desks, microphones and the like, then we must have a chat. :)