Eating in style (ie. Japanese food)

If your post doesn't fit in any of the other topics, post it here.
Cal

Eating in style (ie. Japanese food)

Post by Cal » November 1st, 2012, 2:36 am

Just to kickstart the discussion:

Theaterhotel Almelo used to serve a Japanese foods buffet during the anime weekend. The first few times I was very impressed, but THA's enthusiasm clearly dropped as last con's buffet was a general buffet with just some Japanese dishes thrown in. Now I know some experts are going to say it wasn't genuine Japanese cooking in the first place, but the salmon teriyaki was a treat that I looked forward to every year.

What are the chances of a similar buffet in the Hague? The chosen hotel has a restaurant for theatre-goers, Pangaea, that is open to special dishes for special occasions, but it might be a bit small (they ask for advance reservations) and I have no idea what that would cost. Or does anyone know of suitable Japanese restaurants nearby? Preferably not too far away, as I don't like walking through the Hague; despite the new location being chosen for, among other things, safety, The Hague is the Dutch crime centre, and while this should not be a problem in a swanky hotel, I'm not looking forward to the train journey to get there. Maybe things have changed, but I remember "Den Haag HS" as a station to avoid.

Anyway. Japanese cuisine to match the anime experience, what are the possibilities?

niels
J-Pop Core Staff

Re: Eating in style (ie. Japanese food)

Post by niels » November 3rd, 2012, 12:54 am

OK....
Here's the official news about Japanese food.
- We're working on it.
- Easy things like Yakitori should be do-able (not promising)
- There will be more info regarding this in the new year.

Cal

Post by Cal » November 3rd, 2012, 1:42 pm

Thanks for the replies, I'm glad that Japanese food is an item on the agenda and that there are suitable restaurants close by. I'm also glad to hear that The Hague is not quite the mean city it used to be. Utrecht is the new crime centre? I'm surprised. It doesn't surprise me that Amsterdam holds second place, though.

Anyway, I'll check back in two months.

AokiKazuki

Post by AokiKazuki » November 3rd, 2012, 7:43 pm

Nice, i bet the store going to be packed for sure, I just wonder who will be the one handle those food though

niels
J-Pop Core Staff

Post by niels » November 5th, 2012, 5:16 pm

Aoki:
The ones handling all the catering in WF are Maison Van Den Boer.
We have mentioned the option for them to search for external parties to work with.
They will get back to us in 2013. Which is why we can't actually say anything useful at the moment.

ykz

Post by ykz » November 5th, 2012, 10:26 pm

Closest Japanese restaurant would be Sushi Morikawa at the Balistraat, if you want authentic/real Japanese food.
But there are several more restaurants such as Shabu Shabu, Sumo, Kyoto Cafe, Sakura, Sui sha ya, Genki Tei, Kiraku etc. just tram or bus ride away from the venue.

Kahless
Events Team

Post by Kahless » November 6th, 2012, 12:45 am

The only, good, Japanese restaurant I know in Den Haag, and one which isn't mentioned yet in this thread, is Benkei.
「他人を、でしょ?あなた、人の事には興味ないもの。そのくせ寂しがる・・・」
- 葛城ミサト (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

Guest Attendant, Translator, Senior Events

Twitter: @Kahless_KMS |Skype: [url=skype://kahless_kms]kahless_kms[/url] |PSN: Kahless_KMS |Steam: GP_Kahless |XBL: KahlessKMS
#B-Games@irc.EnterTheGame.com #AnimeLifeStyle@irc.rizon.net

AokiKazuki

Post by AokiKazuki » November 6th, 2012, 5:14 pm

I see, glad to have some professional doing it, well might.

niels
J-Pop Core Staff

Post by niels » November 12th, 2012, 5:06 pm

I have cleaned this topic up a bit.
There were some coments that did not add anything. We also want to use this topic to speak about (Japanese) food at Anime 2013 only.
Questions regarding this will be answered by Matijs or me.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

Fumei

Post by Fumei » November 22nd, 2012, 3:14 pm

Japenese food!! Always a good topic to talk about!
Glad to see there will probably be some easy dishes around at Acon 2013!
I know this dish is probably not easy to make but it would be kind of awesome if they were able to serve some takoyaki as well 3___3 just because I have always wanted to try some. But I think that will just be to hard (and a long life dream of my to eat it, until I'm able to visit Japan XP)